Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Free To Be Me

Ok, so this one is probably gonna be a little like a rant. I'm dealing with some things that have me really angry right now. I'm just curious how old I have to be to be free to be me and make my own decisions? And, I would love to know how my choice of mates has anything to do with having respect for someone outside of the relationship? Yes, I understand that, as a single mom, I have to consider my children when it comes to choosing a mate. I don't want them to be hurt in any way. But just exactly how does my partnerships pertain to adult members of my family? I don't understand how someone could be so selfish and conceited as to think I should make MY life decisions based upon their opinions. Whom I choose to date has no reflection upon my respect for someone else as long as that someone wasn't with them first. And worse yet, this is a racial issue. Someone is telling me that if I had any respect for them I would not date someone of a different race. That's bogus. If they had any respect for me they wouldn't ask me to abandon my own preferences for their petty little reasons. "But my family will disown you"!!! Who cares!!! They didn't ask me if they could date or marry their partners. Why should I have to ask them? If they don't love me because of who I'm dating, then they never really did. I don't need or want people like that in my life. And asking how I would feel if my daughter dated someone outside of her race is just ridiculous. As a mom, I want my daughter to be cared for and respected. That is ALL that matters! I've been the victim of abuse by several of the white men I have been with, but never by a black man, not saying it doesn't happen, it just hasn't happened to me. I would much rather know my daughter is safe and happy than to put restrictions on her life like that. I want my daughter to be a leader and not conform to what others think she should be. The same goes for my son. Is it just me, or is it really self centered for this person to think I should date the kind of people she wants me to date "out of respect for her"? She doesn't even want me to have black friends. And why should I take advice from someone who has been divorced for 33 years and hasn't had a date in at least 10 years? Obviously she wasn't doing something right. Maybe if she would have stopped listening to stupid, racist, self righteous people she would be happy right now! Well, I guess I've rambled enough. I think I'll go drink a beer and try to forget about the ignorant people in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment